With the idea of B-Lines in my mind (see November 12 post) I could see the potential for widening my path to include two linear strips for wildflower cultivation. I scoured the woods for logs to create my edges. I deliberately looked for logs that were covered in moss as they were more attractive when laid end to end. I dug out weeds and covered the soil with woodchips then a thin layer of farmyard manure and compost.
One of the things I had noticed about this ash wood. compared to another ancient woodland half a mile away - was the absence of wild garlic. So I decided to plant some. I bought 250 wild garlic and 250 bluebell bulbs in the green, many with small green shoots. I planted them in the first two weeks of February. As a centre piece I planted a mature Acer on a mound by the path. My intention is to sow woodland wildflower seeds over the bulbs in early April.
At the same time I transplanted some sedges to line the edge of the pond.