Coming to the end of the year prompted me to reflect on the nature projects I had undertaken and how one project had fed into and stimulated another. In January I dug and landscaped a pond and this prompted me to build a new pathway through the middle of the woods which I have used many times since. I planted native blue bells and wild garlic in the green along the side of the path and had some success but I am hoping for more this year.
Through February and March I dug out over 300 sq m of turf in the field and sowed wildflower seed.It took until late June to flower but the flowers provided much pleasure throughout the summer
I judged my wildflower for insect pollinators to have been successful so in August I began planning to extend my mini B-Line. I imagined a curve on the outside of my existing cultivation about 2 to 3m wide and I worked on it for much of September and October spending a couple of hours a day on most days digging up the turf and barrowing it to the woods.
I used the turf to create my grassy knoll - another labour of love, into which I planted a couple of hundred native bluebells.. The knoll looked a bit bare so I began landscaping it with wild woodland sedges dug up from other parts of the woods where they are abundant. I counted 60 plants that I had transplanted.
I got distracted and in November I spent quite a bit of time lining the main pathway through the woods with logs and segments of tree trunks.. It was quite physical and I had to scour the woods for logs of an appropriate size and that often led onto doing other things - like diverting an existing path or stacking branches and moss covered logs. Fortunately, I didnt damage myself lifting, carrying, rolling and wheel barrowing the logs.
In March 2023 I began an experiential inquiry called Pathways to a Sustainable Future and many of my posts between March-September were written for this project.
Diary Starts Here